Wednesday, August 27, 2003

well hello cyberspace... sorry for week long unexplained absence... been in hospital!!

basically went to the GP with unexplained and pretty painful stomach-ache and she sent me off to the Hallamshire with a possible case of appendicitis, where I stayed for 3 nights - first 2 days on a drip and 'nil by mouth' which was a joy especially combined with lots of poking and prodding and blood tests and xrays and ultrasounds from a stream of different doctors and watching students!! glad to say that in those circumstances i give up any sense of embarrasment - too much energy! and on Saturday they sent me home with some painkillers (was feeling a lot better by then) and no real explanation as to what I've had... i personally suspect it's what they call a 'grumbling' appendix ... i.e. they'll probably have to whip it out at some point in the future 'cos it's not happy, however i'm not in any immediate danger right now - thankfullly

I'm finishing my job on Friday, and then moving into the commune at the weekend for 3 and half weeks before removing to Oxford.. quite looking forward to that - just hangin' out with anybody who's up for lunch/coffee/cake (hint, hint!), reading in preparation for my studies and getting a taste of life in the commune (for those of you who don't know it's just 7 people from St Thom's who share a house and try to live as a community, at least to the extent of sharing meals and having a shared bank account for bills etc)

right now however, am slogging through my first day back at work, trying to reassure my boss that all is well and that the place isn't going to fall apart when I leave!! also wondering when i leave how quickly i'll need to adapt to being somewhat poorer ... p'raps it won't feel that much different as when I'm down in Oxford i won't have to worry about rent, or food (during term time) and i won't have to buy too many more smart clothes (hoorah) .. I hope I've learnt to be much more relaxed about money and to be more generous in the last 3 years whether or not I've had money... hmmm

No comments: