so here I am at the utter end of the earth... well the utter end of South Eastern England anyhow... on placement in Deal (by the sea!) at St George's Church (just north of Dover if you didn't know) It's been straight in at the deep-end for me - leading a service within days of arriving, preaching the very next Sunday (i.e. this last weekend) and 3 more leads and 2 more preaches to pack in before I finish in a month's time - when I said I wanted more experience in both, they certainly took me up on it!
My placement supervisor is an amazing woman called Shiela Porter who was instituted as Associate Vicar with special responsibility for strategic thinking about mission (having previously been the curate here) by Graham Cray, Bishop of Maidstone on my first Sunday here.. Bob Hopkins preached the sermon... and for those who don't know I knew both Graham and Bob in previous locations- both threatened to tell all (there's really not much to tell!) if anybody wanted to know more about me than I was willing to say! My hosts in Deal (i.e. i'm staying with them) were also in Pakistan at the same time as me, so although I never met them we know a lot of people in common!! All rather odd...
The church itself is growing rapidly (it's between 400 and 600 people already which is huge if you consider what a small place Deal is) and they are desperately trying to work out how to disciple the new Christians, and put in place sustainable church growth (hence Bob & Mary Hopkins' involvement through their ACPI work). They've just taken on a guy to be operations manager - he is taking on all the day-to-day practical stuff, managing the adminstrative staff, as well as being a 'wise old head' in their building redevelopment project - he has lots of secular management experience, so a bit of professionalism and competence in this area will really make a difference in releasing the theologically-trained clergy to do their thing! And they might even get a website up again!
Generally I really don't know what to make of it all; I seem incapabable of deep theological and personal reflection so far, especially in getting a grip on what I need to learn and take away - perhaps it's because I don't have buddies to 'chew the fat' with here and I really am just an 'extravert processor' as they say, so until I start chatting to people about it, then I've no idea what I think... and there's not been much time to do much chatting so far, and I obviously won't get any outside perspective on the church only being here for 5 weeks. It's also weird to hear things almost entirely from the leaders' 'insider' point of view... is that what I'll always get from now on? It's a funny way to meet a church! I need to make sure I get some ordinary bods view of it before I leave!
In other news, I may well be finally succumbing to the joy of consumerism having spent almost an entire day (including evening meal) at Bluewater a massive shopping complex in the North of Kent with the lovely Kathryn Ross (from Wycliffe) and come back with lots of clothes... (much needed since I cleared out my wardrobe many months ago and haven't been shopping since, so was a bit thin on clothes, especially smart clothes!) I think I might even have enjoyed it - the air-conditioning on such a hot muggy day may well have helped that process...
So as Val-der-ree would say here's a 'shallow' post for you... perhaps i'll do 'deep' next time!
2 comments:
wow - two blog posts in a month - we are privileged! seriously though - great to hear your news. i have been praying for you and wondering how you were getting on. you go girl!!!
Hi Naomi, Pip here, been wondering how you are getting on so good to read your blog and catch up on where you're at. sound pretty busy by all accounts! glad to see they're getting their money's worth from you. will continue to pray for you. we miss you here in Oxford!
Post a Comment