Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Christmas in the 'burbs...

well, here I am still at my parents - 'cos my brother is still around (back from Kenya briefly) ... not that seems to make any difference to how much we see him, he's off out catching up with friends! (all my friends from school have very sensibly moved away from this smug characterless town) ho-hum...

it is very weird being back here for an extended period - everyone seems to revert back into role... I seem to lose my individual identity, and just float along doing what I'm told, and running off to watch tv and surf the 'net (and doing some work, but not too much!) like the teenager I used to be ... it is really odd this lack of personal space - seems to wipe out my relationship with God as I know it (i.e. I'm not really praying, reading the Bible or thinking about stuff for myself) so what does that mean for someone who theoretically believes that being a Christian is not an individualistic enterprise, but should be about joining the body of Christ, being in community? does this mean I have totally the wrong model of spirituality to match this ideal? maybe so...

on a lighter note, Christmas has been fun, seen a lot more of both sides of the family than I often do at Christmas which is good and weird at the same time... and I've been happily watching much of what my new 'Return of the King' extended edition dvd has to offer - great stuff:)

1 comment:

Matt said...

Hi Naomi! glad to hear you're surviving christmas. i know exactly what you mean about reverting to childlikeness in the company of one's parents - particularly if you're on their turf. i have the same experience each Christmas. i guess it's just very hard to break out of those well worn psychological grooves where we associate being in our parents' house with being a child. i still haven't cracked this one! anyway, good to see you're still in the land of the living - looking forward to seeing you when you get back to Oxford. Matt