Recently I've been having a bit of a dilemma about what to post here, because I know that friends, and strangers (from time to time;), who read this are coming from completely different places spiritually (even if I don't what those places are...) and thinking about it, that's true of those who hear what I say I the 'real' world too...
so how much do I say about what I'm thinking about matters 'internal' to the church ... there's lots of blogs out there that are quite interesting to church geeks like me;) (which could be both incomprehensible and dull to those who couldn't give a monkeys)?
And how much do I need to say about 'what I'm doing/where I've been' (which, frankly, could be quite unnecessary and dull to all concerned ;)? although that was the reason for setting up a blog in the first place, to dispense with the need for emailing out newsletters too often...
I think you might all have to put up with general musings on other 'stuff'...
And if I don't talk a little about these things to all of my friends and acquaintances how honest am I being?
Of course there are levels of things that are appropriate to say, and sometimes I'm a bit too open with the wrong people, at the wrong time, 'cos I worry about not being 'honest'! (sigh, it's hard work being me!!)
But I think we should at least share a sniff of what else we are in other situations too, otherwise integrity (a universally valued commodity!) can easily slip away...
hmmm 'answers' on comments please;)
6 comments:
interesting Naomi. I can understand that you began this blog as a surrogate newsletter, and if that is what you want it to be then it is not a blog like the ones that you have quoted. However, I am not quite singing the same tune as you. I don't write my blog for and audience, or with a particular reader in mind. I write it to be part of a conversation, and, significantly, as a tool for my own thinking. So that's about theological reflection (thx geoff) on life - sometimes my life, sometimes the lives of others and sometimes the life of the church which I am so inextricably tied to. For me I avoid at all costs the "today I went to the shops and bought some chocolate" blog. For me a blog is about interpretation of life not description of events.
that's my tuppence worth.
thanks Finker.. that actually really helps, 'cos whether you realised it or not you put your finger on a couple of things that bug me
a) worrying too much about what other people think (you may have guessed that already;)
b) actually I much prefer hearing from people about what they're thinking (and the events linked in with that) rather than 'going to the shops' type news...
Hi N
I think you should just be yourself and be honest. I found it v refreshing with mine to write exactly what I thought and wait to hear if those 'not of my spirituality' had anything interesting to say back later.
It certainly started a couple of interesting conversations when I got back to work.
aye your right... you know how when you say things 'out loud' as it were it becomes SO much less of an issue than it was in your head?!
thanks for taking the time to say tho Nick:)
Around the start of the year I moved from using my own blog just for updating the occasional meme to being a bit more honest about what I was thinking, feeling and doing. Yes, there's a worry that people will actually read it (still comes as a shock to me - I've had blog entries from the past two months quoted in American newspapers!!!) but that's the risk of making ourselves vulnerable.
But actually, it tends to be the fear of people finding out our secrets that is more binding and cowing than the secrets themselves. When we live our lives "intentionally vulnerable" we disarm the powers of blame and suspicion, because they no longer have any weapons. I guess we do this to model our Saviour, who was the most intentionally vulnerable of them all.
If you're up to it, give it a go.
Peter Ould
Naomi,
It's interesting that you should ask those questions. From one who has a tendancy to wear my heart on my sleeve I wonder these same things. Some of the most important things that have happened to me this year involve conversations about where I come from, and what I believe. And sometimes, damnit all, I want to share those things, in the same way that I like to share my cricket prowess. These things matter to me, and I don't care who hears it. Ok, there are some things that you keep to yourself, but I figure that if in doubt, risk it.
I like what finker said. In this medium I believe the true value is not in what you did, but in what you experienced. Nothing bores me faster than a 'then I did this'letter. Tell us what you're thinking! It's important to remember that there are people who value you for who you are. And honesty is a very attractive quality. And one of the most attractive qualities about it is that in encourages honesty in others. There's probably a sermon in there somewhere.
It surprises me that a cynical bugger like me could say such a thing, but I believe it to me true. Maybe I'm not as cynical as I thought...
At least that's the way I see it. righto.
Post a Comment