Monday, March 27, 2006

Twisted perceptions

As many of y'all already know, last summer my little brother married the lovely Monica Kimani in Nairobi, Kenya last summer (they had both worked for Medair in relief and capacity building work in South Sudan) ... One of the things that really struck me, when they showed a video of the wedding day back in England at their blessing, was how suddenly foreign it looked - when I was there all the African ladies from the village dancing and singing at Monica's parents' house before we set off for the church was beautiful and atmospheric, watching a recording of it, it just seemed generically African, not something I could relate to at all... I guess because I wasn't relating anymore, I was just observing...

I found being there I had to come to grips with something that I'd picked up from media and indeed charity transmitted attitudes that Africans aren't really grown ups, that they are children who need to be looked after. In reality of course they are very much grown ups and equals, but it is easier to help people who you feel you are superior to in some way isn't it?

still chewing it over!

2 comments:

Jim said...

That's what I love about the reflections on your blog... always so perceptive. Mirislav Volf makes the very same point in 'Free of Charge'. That it's so much easier to give and feel better about ourselves when we are in the superior position and/or we feel the recipient 'deserves' our gift... it is in seeing our twistedness that God gently untwists us..

richard said...

I am having similar experiences here in Mexico. Just because they don't speak my language don't make them stoopid. In fact, it's quite the reverse and I'm the one feeling childish.

I love being in a situation where the culture is being itself, on its own terms rather than mine. And how dear I presume to have them do their culture on anything less than that? It is challenging and hard work, but it makes me a better person.

well observed Naomi, and Jim...