To rehash a theme I've touched on before, I've been thinking about the road that lies before me and the responsibilities that entails, and whether I'm willing to accept them... for being a clergyperson is to in some way to be an authority, a guide, a wise one, some one to imitate - whether or not that is what you feel you can be. With this on the horizon, I continuously feel challenged by the idea that I need to commit myself, however cautiously, to what I think the truth is; which in many areas of my thinking does not come naturally - I like to 'keep an open mind' which, depending on how honest I'm being, is either because 'I know my own frailty of understanding' or because 'I don't like getting into arguments/disagreeing with people' and yet I begin to perceive that this cannot be a permanent outlook since I will say nothing, direct nothing, help no-one to move forward if this is the case...
is this just a girl thing? I was discussing this with a friend yesterday and she was saying that she thinks that boys are much happier going 'all out' for a particular position on something and take it much less personally if they need to defend that position by getting into an argument about it...
food for thought...
3 comments:
i think it's more a personality thing than a male/female thing, since I'm a boy but feel completely the same way. I also think that it's a bit of a by-product of our progressive culture...the whole tolerance/diversity thing. Those aren't bad things by any means, I'm all for tolerance and diversity, but I think it makes it harder to choose a 'side,' so to speak.
i can relate to a lot of what you were saying so i don't think it's a boy/girl thing. having said that, i do look good in a dress...
I shouldn't let it worry you, if I were you (but then I am a boy). When you start leading church/people you have to make decisions everyday based on what you think is right, and make judgement calls. It kind of comes out of deep within you - what you know in your belly to be the correct course of action (which is why its good to get lots of preparation and feeding in now!). I rarely find that someone challenges my thinking behind actions - not many people have the luxury to stop and get into a debate when we are all getting on with life.
I know what you're saying. I think I have become more scornful of the postmodernist relativism of truth recently, because it leads to nihilism and despair - it leads nowhere, so whats the point in believing in something like that?!
Post a Comment